Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Spelling Dictionary Booklet

Way back when, when I was a student teacher in a 4th grade classroom I was first introduced to the idea of a booklet of words to help them spell words correctly. My mind was blown. You mean this saves out on 20+ children asking you how to spell words? You mean this saves time correcting their spelling when it comes time to edit their papers?

My master teacher called her booklet "Spelling Dictionary" mainly because when students did ask how to spell a word, she would give them the first three letters of the word and tell them to look it up and put it in their dictionary. Yes, I understand this is technically not a dictionary, and yes it took longer. However, not only were the students spelling the word correctly, but they were learning to use the dictionary; which in my opinion is a lost cause today!

When I first started substitute teaching, during those planning periods where I had NOTHING to do, I started making up this booklet. I finished the booklet in no time flat, took it a Kinkos and made a couple copies for the future.


Fast forward 10 years later. Fast forward the technology and the plethora of fun fonts. I revamped my dictionary!



Purchase this book for only $2!!


My first ever booklet turned into a PDF to put on Teachers Pay Teachers. So feedback will be appreciated!


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I will be buying this from your TPT store for my Grade 2 class this year! :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete