Sunday, January 25, 2015

Journeys Morning Work!

On Friday I went to print my typical morning work, to realize I had already used all of January's morning work file. I thought for a second about dipping into the February file... but decided not to. My morning work is typically a math sheet, and I realized that I haven't given them an ELA sheet in a very long time. Everything that I can give them just doesn't seem to fit their skill level. Things are either too hard, or too easy. In our school, kindergarten does not learn the long vowels, digraphs, blends or bossy "e". Most of the ELA morning work I find has those items. I do work with those items with my high flyers, but especially for my lows, we still need basics.

I decided to follow my ELA curriculum and make up a morning work that fits them! The layout is very similar to the morning work they already know and love. I didn't want to change too much on them.

So, the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Journeys for Kindergarten Morning Work was born!!


It is available on TPT!

I do not use the 2014 edition, but I made it for the 2014 edition.

Every week I have a Sight Word Test. Most of my kids have older siblings and they really wanted spelling tests like their older brother or sister. So, I tested a Sight Word Test out for a few weeks, and they're amazing at it!

What I do, is give them 5 words a week to study. Two of them are the sight words we are focusing on that week, and up until now, some were review words or words my curriculum doesn't focus on. On Friday, I have the words listed on the board as well as another wall near their tables. I then tell them to write a word. They then look to where the words are, find it and write it.

For my classroom personally, I'm going to bump their sight words up to 6 words and just use the 2014 Journeys words for our sight word test. So this morning work will really help out with that test!

No comments:

Post a Comment