Sunday, August 25, 2013

Math Journal Prompts

I've been so focused on the new Journeys ELA program, that I've kept putting off writing the prompts for my math journals. Well, I decided this weekend that I couldn't put them off any longer. While my step-son was playing some Minecraft on his Xbox, which I guess some big stuff just happened to that game, I decided to write... write and write!!

And well, I only came up with 54 prompts. But, I'm thinking that's pretty good for now! I don't know how quickly my students will pick up on them. There may be some who need these beginning of the year type of prompts longer than the others, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!


There are 2 different prompts per page, with 10 prompts of the same. I know some classes are larger than 10, and all you'll have to do is print each page twice. For someone like myself, who's class will probably be no larger than 8 children.. making 20-30 prompts per page was a waste of paper!

I put a primary journal on my school supply list. The kind with drawing space at the top and writing on the bottom. Like the Mead Primary Journal below. This is what I plan on using as our Math Journal.


I may put something nice on the front, but I don't know. I think it'll be fine leaving it just the way it is.

The students will glue their journal prompt on the lined part of their page, and they'll draw on the top half. Later on with the prompts, i'll have them write simple math equations to represent what the prompt is saying. Once the school year gets going, i've only allowed a 15 minute space for Math Journals... I still don't know if this is something we can accomplish in this amount of time! We shall see!

For now, enjoy the beginning of the year Math Journal Prompts!! You can get them at my TPT store!




No comments:

Post a Comment